The term Arthritis is used to denote any disorders that affect your joints. The common arthritis symptoms are pain, stiffness, swelling, redness etc. It is estimated that there are more than 100 types of arthritis. In this article, we are listing some common types of arthritis and their symptoms.
This is the most common form of arthritis. It is the “wear and tear” which occurs to your joints when they are overused. It usually comes with age, but can also happen due to obesity or joint injures which puts extra strain on your joints. This type of arthritis affects joints that bear weight, like your feet, knees, hip and spine.
Symptoms : The symptoms will be based on which joints are affected. You might encounter some common symptoms like:
- Severe pain
- Difficulty to comb hair, grip things, squat, bend over, climb stairs etc. depending on the joints affected.
- Morning stiffness that will usually last less than 30 minutes
- Stiffness after taking rest
- Limited motion of joints
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
It is an autoimmune disease, which occurs when your immune system behaves abnormally and attacks your own body parts, especially the joints. This type of arthritis can result in inflammation which will cause severe damage to your joints, if not treated properly. Rheumatoid arthritis is commonly found in joints which receive pressure, like the joints in your elbows, knuckles or heels.
Symptoms: The symptoms of RA might be severe than Osteoarthritis. They include:
- Swelling, stiffness and pain in your joints
- Swelling in more than one joint as it affects more than one joint.
- Morning stiffness that will last for hours or for most of the day
- It will show a symmetrical pattern. For example, if it causes inflammation of the knuckles on your left hand, then it will also occur on the right hand too.
People with Psoriatic arthritis can have skin inflammation (psoriasis) and inflammation in joints (arthritis). Psoriasis can result in raised, patchy, red and white areas on the skin which is inflamed and with scales. It can affect different parts of your body like tips of the elbows and knees, the navel, the scalp, and skin around anus or genital areas.
Symptoms: The common symptoms include swelling on your fingers and toes. People who have Psoriatic arthritis can have fingernails that are discolored or pitted. It can affect either one joint or multiple joints.